Friday, October 16, 2009

Mums, Moms, and Meetings

these are the things October is made of.

It's homecoming week at Northwoods, so it's been a crazy, fun, and crazy-fun week.


Two days ago Mrs. Weatherford, one of the sweetest women I've ever met and a mom here at Northwoods (She has a seminarian my age and a precandidate a year older than Clare. What a generous lady.) invited us over to her house for dinner. So we went expecting a formal, curteous dinner like we've been going to with other families- the ones where you can feel the tension because the hosts are so worried about offending us... instead, we eat what she calls "Mama-food" and play bunny-dancing on Wii. I have pictures and videos I will HAVE to show the family when I come home. Just so you know, I rock at this game. I won the Jackson 5 round.


As we're leaving, she reminds us that it's crazy sock day on Thursday, so we borrow some socks from her and some really crazy tights from Patty and go to school for crazy sock day. Again, I took tons of pictures, it's just that this computer was made around 1996 or so, so loading pictures is a near impossibility. We also helped a bunch of Northwoods moms to make mums yesterday, which is a curious texan tradition. They are massive, tacky, spirited broaches everyone wears on the day of the game to show school spirit... and, because our football players are all in the 5th-8th grade, about half the team is falling over because mom made too big a mum. However, they would rather die than admit that they can't even carry around their mum, so the halls of Northwoods are full of tottering, struggling middle-school boys today. It's pretty adorable. I took pictures of them, too, when they weren't looking.


Today is the homecoming game, tailgate, and bonfire. We're going to try to make it to everything, but we've got our biannual retreat tomorrow for the ECYD girls to plan for so we might only make it to the game and tailgate.


We've been going back to Challenge meetings lately- a few days ago we went to Prince of Peace and yesterday we drove all the way to Sugarland (about an hour and a half). Family, this was a momentous occasion- I changed highways at least 4 times taking little exits with minimal signs pointing me in the right direction in rush hour traffic through downtown Houston in order to get to the opposite side of the city... and didn't get lost once or make one U-turn. If you have a chance, look at a map of Houston. I went from Spring to Sugarland. That is insanitiy. I literally got to St. Lawrence Catholic Church and sat in the car, flabberghasted at my own success for 5 minutes straight. Then, because God wanted to love me up even more, the Sugarland meeting was a cineforum on Father of the Bride.


It was a great day.


I'm going to try to upload some pictures so you can "meet" my team and see my house... we'll see how that goes.

LESS THAN 2 WEEKS!


Love,


Cedric

No comments:

Post a Comment