Tuesday, October 13, 2009

My Profuse Apologies

for not posting, family. I talk to you every Sunday so you know generally what I'm up to, but I realized lately that I should be documenting my adventures in Texas for my own benefit anyway. Most of the time when I have time and permission to post something to you, I only have time to write events and dates without discussing them with you or giving my opinion. As you know, I have an opinion about everything.
SO here is my NEW PLAN: I am going to type out what I've been doing throughout the week AND THEN post it for you when I have time/permission.
Right now I'll give you the fastest overview I can, because I'm supposed to be done with lunch at home right now and I'm not even on my way there.
My house has been very sick lately and hasn't been able to actually go to meetings in a week. The consecrated fled the house last Sunday without warning (we found a note on the counter when we got home). They say that they needed to go to College Station and Michigan, but I think they really didn't want to get sick and decided to quarentine us.
However, we weren't complaining. We love our consecrated to pieces and back again, but living with 3rd degree members of Regnum Christi means that our norms change to fit theirs. For example, there is nothing in the coworker norms that dictates how many movies you can watch, but consecrated norms specify that those are granted only by permission from your Directress. So while the consecrated were gone, I took the liberty of educating myself on all the classics I missed out on for one reason or another during my youth. Surprisingly, they had quite a few good ones. So far we have watched: I am David, Braveheart, Sense and Sensibility (not my favorite, but it's a movie.), The Greatest Game Ever Played, and Yours, Mine, and Ours (the old version, not the new... with Lucille Ball. It made my day.) Tonight I think we're watching the Persuit of Happyness. Not a classic, but I've never seen it.
ALSO we've been listening to Frank Sinatra, Michael Buble, and Elizabeth's mixes nonstop since they left. I've realized recently that music does marvelous things for my sanity and happiness. This is another thing that coworker norms allow but consecrated norms do not.
ON TOP of all of this, I have had the liberty of cooking practically anything I desire because Lindsey hasn't had time to look over my menu. I have been baking family recipes with wild abandon... delicious squash casserole, corn bread, and yes, my family, I even made some cheese grits. Paulina looked at it in her bowl and said, "How do you EAT it?". I didn't know how to answer that quesiton except, "with a spoon." Patty thought it looked funny. When they got over the realization that I dont even know what grits are made of, they both LOVED it and Patty made some the next day. I'm still eating the leftovers, but I don't mind. It's Waffle House food... something Texas just doesn't have.
We've also proposed a wonderful list of fun things for the section here, beginning with "Jazzercisin' for Jesus Day" for the young women as an RC promotion event. (I give all credit to Mommy, without whose 80s jazzercise tapes I would have never thought of this.) Hopefully it gets approved. There are a lot of things like this we're pushing for, and I'll let you know if it happens.
I've decided to wage war against my own ignorance and actually study politics. I figure it's something I need to know about whether or not I'm interested as a citizen of this country over the age of 18, and I know I shouldn't just take everyone else's opinions about it for granted as truth, regardless of how much I trust them on other matters. I find myself often in political discussions facing the sad reality that I'm ignorant about what's being discussed and, usually, the person discussing the issues is also ignorant, which makes the entire conversation an ignorant waste of my time. So though I have no interest in politics until about 100 years later, I'm going to get over my laziness and study it. I'm taking it one issue at a time (this week is economy... I'm starting with the least interesting.) and am going to understand by the time elections roll around.
I'm also studying Spanish. This is more interesting because I can just choose any book I like in Spanish and read it. Right now I'm reading about Mexican history... I forgot who it was (wow, this is already failing.) but someone right before the Cristero War hid inside a dead mule and escaped capture by having some friends take the mule outside the city. Crazy. I would have never thought of hiding inside a mule. I think I might prefer capture. The Trojans had the right idea with FAKE animals.
Well, I have to go "home" (or more "house"...) so I can eat lunch and go buy some groceries for the next week. Tonight we WERE going to have artichoke casserole, but then everyone in our house (meaning the two other coworkers with me and myself) decided to get better in time to go to the Prince of Peace meeting tonight, so no artichoke casserole :( Sandwiches and an apple, most likely. Elementary School never ends.

17 days!

Cedric

1 comment:

  1. i just love you a lot. And those mixes are profoundly brilliant. I've been making art to them nonstop as well and I've had the songs for a while. They're just really great together. I'm jealous that you have an oven. I don't (obviously) and it really limits the amount of delicious that I can cook. As you might expect, my stovetop skills have skyrocketed. miss you a lot and your 17 day countdown is significant to me because whether or not it is in person, i will get to SEE YOUR FACCCCCE! and that I can hardly wait for.

    ReplyDelete